Monday, February 17, 2014

Making your own candles for Christmas


Haiely had found this on YouTube and wanted to do it, I thought it would be a great idea for teachers and neighbors. I like thgis idea and I think I will do more and more as different Holidays come up.
I used 2 different things for the wax instead of straight crisco.


DIY Holiday Hot Cocoa Candles

The greatest thing about this idea is that I was able to get all these cups at the Dollar Store. Use your coupons for Michaels. I love it! I had Danika write her own note for the cup for her teacher.


 Did you know that if you stuck a candle wick in a can of Crisco that it could burn constantly for up to 48 days?
What you will Need:
6" wicks or longer and cut them
Crisco
Soy Wax
Crayons to make the color you desire


To Assemble:
You can be like me and just fly by the seat of your pants or you can be like 85% of the population and read the directions and measure it all out exact. I like to guess alot and I am usually not off by much. I can always add more right?
You can take the crisco and meausre how much your mug takes with how much Crisco you are going to need. Break up the colors of crayons you want and add  it to the Crisco, the difference I did here is that I added my soy wax. On the blog I read this off she used Crisco only and added the soy wax as marshmallow which I did also.  
I used my hot glue gun to glue the wick to the mug. Heat up your Crisco and crayons in the microwave for 30 seconds intervals. Stir and heat until it is all done, then pour into the cup. 
I put them in the fridge because I was in a hurry. So that we can add the sprinkles and things on top. The girls had to go to bed. I had sprinkles in the cabinet and I had to buy the candy canes. 
While the candle is cooling, we will work on the whip cream looking wax- start melting some of your soy wax. Do not melt it all the way, just enough that it liquifies a little and then it clumps looks like whip cream. For marshmallows: melt soy wax in a rectanlge or square mold. I cut it up on chunks in every which way. Hailey helped by rubbing the edges on the napkin and I used my hands. Made my hands really really soft.
Then Decorate as you wish!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers